You can reach Levi by email at levi.lamoreaux@myldsmail.net
Levi's Quest in Argentina will soon be coming to a close. Levi will be returning home on July 6, 2011 after serving an unforgettable journey throughout the countryside surrounding Cordoba, Argentina.

Monday, October 5, 2009

los primeros días (The First Days)

Hey everybody!!'

Tis Monday and I guess you would like to know of how these first couple days have been. Here is a brief summary:

Thursday night I made the tenish hour flight to Buenos Aires. I sat between two Spanish speakers so I practiced a little, but it was the middle of the night and they were watching the movies and stuff. I landed safely, got all my luggage without a problem and looked around for a fellow named Alberto. I found him and he gave us some papers and took some papers and we waited awhile in the airport until he told us to leave all our stuff we were going to the temple to wait for other missionaries. We went to the temple, ate breakfast, went to the temple, ate lunch and left. One of the men in the cafeteria across the street asked if we were hungry, I replied with more or less, he said, "No no no. Los misioneros buenos siempre están cansados y siempre tienen hambre. Uds. son élderes buenos, tienen hambre." (No no no. The good missionaries are always tired and always hungry. Elders you are good, you are hungry.) Those of us who understood laughed and were in good spirits.

The other missionaries showed up including Élder Blackhorse (a friend from Phoenix) and we all got on a little bus to go to another airport. Out of all of us there were three different missions, those going to Bahía Blanca left us, then Salta, then all of us for Córdoba (Lambchops included, Elder Lamb). We missed the flight we were supposed to take so a guy from the church was there trying to help us out, we were running around like crazy trying to get all these flights. Five of us ended up on standby but then somehow this guy ran off and came back with a couple tickets for three more of us and they all left for their flight to Córdoba. Lamb and I had to take another flight (1523, I know), so we were gonna be late. Well as we were walking to our gate we pass all the other guys whose flight was delayed. We boarded this sketch Argentine plane but it got us there. President and Hermana Olsen were there waiting for us. I had a chat with President Olsen in a Catholic airport chapel, 'twas interesting. In time the others showed up putting us all only three hours behind schedule.

We drove to the mission office (traffic boggles my mind) where we got a rundown on the mish, had dinner, met our trainers, and left for home. I took a long bus ride from Córdoba to Oncativo and finally got home around 12:30. I was dead tired after having not slept for a couple days (my last night in Baltimore and the night on the plane).

Then I spent most of Saturday in the cyber watching conference in English, but the connection sucked and I really didn't get to watch much, and I didn't get to watch Priestood session. Sunday morning we to the family Abate Daga's house. The four of them and the two of us ate an awesome lunch (the main meal down here) and then the branch president and his family of five showed up and the eleven of us crammed into a small house and watched the morning session on a twelve inch computer screen. It was awesome though!! I loved both families, and after having met them and the man that owns a tienda (store) across the street from our pensión (home) I know half the branch in two days. Everything I've eaten has been way good except bread pudding :/ The good stuff was pizza pasta empenadas weird chicken sandwich thing and breakfast pastries it's all been way good except the bread pudding. Their pizza and pasta is a little different than what were used to but still good.

That afternoon we watched (or tried to) the afternoon session in the cyber again.

The people here are way nice but speak way fast. In Córdoba they did sound like they were singing, here, not as many people do. The dogs are not the domesticated best friend they are back home, they're everywhere and it's weird haha but cool. Everybody and their mother drives a "moto" but the biggest displacement I've seen is a 200cc motorcylce. I'm getting better at military time. It's def different but I like it and I haven't really had shock, I just smile and love everything that's different.

My comp is from a tiny town near Cody, WY. He's served in sixish areas. Missionaries have been here since '06 I believe but it wasn't its own area until four weeks ago. It was covered by the same missionaries who served in Rio Segundo as well (which is an hour away) so now that we live here it should start doing a little better. I'm excited for church, it's in a business building!

Alright, if you have anymore questions shootem at me. I love you all and I'll catch ya later.
Con amor,
LMX

No comments:

Post a Comment