You can reach Levi by email at levi.lamoreaux@myldsmail.net
Levi's Quest in Argentina will soon be coming to a close. Levi will be returning home on July 6, 2011 after serving an unforgettable journey throughout the countryside surrounding Cordoba, Argentina.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dulce (sweet)

Answer time: my Spanish is weaksauce. I can understand and speak to my companion and other gringos, but the accent of natives messes with me and I have a hard time, but it's only been a week, what did you expect?
Yes we walk everywhere. The town isn't too big but we will walk to all four edges in a day, it's cool, because even though our success is nonexistent it feels like we're accomplishing something because of how far we walk and how tired I get (just like the guy in Buenos Aires told me).
It's much too hot to wear a jacket outside, so the answer to if I wear a jacket all the time or only in meetings is, only in meetings.
I sleep about three hours a night because the dogs don't stop barking and the houses do not block sound, they are kinda like a real sturdy tent.
Church was awesome. There were twenty one people (including Elder Abraham and I). When people walk in it's like a big family reunion, everyone is greeted with hugs and kisses from every person. It was testimony meeting, and as Presidente Daniele was conducting he mentioned that there was a new missionary "whose name he was not going to try pronouncing because even when I coach him through it he can't get it right" and everybody was looking forward to hearing his testimony. So I got up first and in butchered castellano (they look at you funny if you call it Spanish) I bore my testimony and told everyone how to say Lamoreaux. The joke amongst all nineteen members is to call me Elder Lamer - say something funny sounding. But after I was done every member of the branch bore their testimony (except Benjamin, he's 1). We hung out for awhile after church then I had lunch at the familia Abate Daga's house. When they said I got to ride in the back of the truck on the way to their house I shouted "dulce", literally translated it means "sweet" but it's not an expression down here and Hermana Abate Daga started going crazy saying whats this and stuff but then after lunch she was saying it.
Another funny language mix up: I was eating with the familia Daniele and they asked about my family (which reminds me everybody wants to see pictures of my family so send me some, I can be in them too if you want, or not, just send me pictures!!). I said everybody and lil about them and then said I was "el mejor" (best) instead of "el mayor" (oldest) everyone laughed and the eldest son present (the other is serving in Texas) said he was "el mejor" as well.
And no it's not a Cyber Café, it is a business where all it is is a room filled with computers, there are several around town, in every town. And it's spelled ciber, I apologize for the poor grammar.
So some fun cultural differences for the week: laundry is done in a bucket by hand. Cars drive around town advertising stuff through large speakers they have bungeed to their roofs. Dulce de leche is possibly the best food ever invented, I put it on foods from bananas to bread to hamburgers (that one wasn't my best idea).
About mail...I get it once a transfer at zone conferences, so hopefully I'll have some by then.Well that's about it. I've yet to teach a lesson. People use the same excuses and stuff here that they do in Baltimore, but I still enjoy it, I just want one person to listen.
Love you guys, catch ya later.
LMX

No comments:

Post a Comment